We’re Hiring: Workshop Manager
McEIVR, Inc (MakerspaceCT) Hartford, CT 06103
POSTED: Monday, May 10, 2021 – Open Until Filled
Salary: $24 an hour
Job Type: Part-time
Number of hires for this role: 1
Full Job Description
MakerspaceCT is a 20,000+ sqft community workshop in downtown Hartford that is open 6 days a week to students and members. We teach manufacturing and prototyping skills to professionals and hobbyists alike. The facility includes commercial level machinery in a wood shop, metal machining room, metal fabrication shop and welding area. There are electronics labs, 3D printing areas, a textiles room, a computer lab and laser cutting equipment. Each of our shops also has CNC driven equipment and we run advanced classes and certifications for our members to run this machinery.
The Shop Manager oversees the maintenance of the above machinery and is willing to diagnose, disassemble, repair, and restore them to operating condition. Prior knowledge of this technical equipment and a willingness to improve on current machinery skills with CNC knowledge is necessary.
The Shop Manager is also a professional who plans, directs, and coordinates MakerspaceCT shop operations. This individual possesses a high standard of organization and precision in overseeing general daily activities, programs, staff, and projects with the goal of improving efficiency and impact of the makerspace through effective methods and strategies. This manager also oversees a part-time staff of 10+ Shop-techs. The Shop-tech staff work until 9 / 10 PM on weekdays and on the weekend. The shop Manager works 32 hours, 4 days a week.
· Manages training and development of Shop-Techs
· Recruits manufacturing professionals for participation in operations and projects
· Consults with the Education Director and Web Master on instructional scheduling
· Prepares shops and classrooms for a class or events
· Improves operational systems, processes, and best practices that guarantee organizational well-being including oversight of inventory and manufacturing processes; Uses internal improvement template to report findings
· Provides periodic reports on operations to the Shop Operations Officer
· Examines financial data/statements and searches for products and processes to improve efficiency and technical inventory
· Contributes to the achievement of the Makerspace’s strategic and operational objectives and continues to improve the look and feel of the space
· Provides support to members and gives tours as needed
· Works with Education Director to align instructional objectives with member’s needs
· Oversees scheduling of Shop-Tech staff, finds replacements or fills-in, or takes on the responsibility if a replacement is unavailable
· Proven work experience as a shop manager or equivalent
· Moderate to advanced understanding of shop equipment and tools and their safe uses
· Ability to diagnose, disassemble, repair, and reassemble metal and wood-working equipment, 3D printers
· Budget knowledge and oversight experience in finding products and consumables for above equipment
· Knowledge of organizational effectiveness and operations management
· Basic IT skills including Microsoft office, basic Excel spreadsheet and Google Docs & Sheets proficiency
· Leadership and organizational skills using the EDGE or comparable method. Whereas all staff are always ready to Educate, Demonstrate, Guide and Enable others
· Must be open minded and humble with members, and have a “smiling” can-do attitude
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work/managerial experience
· Operation, diagnosis and repair of various metal machining, welding, and wood shop machinery
Approximate duty cycle:
· 32 hours / week – flexible schedule available
Equal Opportunity Employer
MakerspaceCT is a program of MCEIVR Inc.
It is the policy of MCEIVR, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In addition, MCEIVR, Inc. will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
MCEIVR Inc’s goal is to increase representation of women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities. Our programs are designed to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and directives.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $24.00 per hour
- Paid time off
All persons entering the MakerspaceCT facility must abide by the Safe Shop policy and procedures. Measures aligned with the CDC guidelines have been taken to ensure the health and safety of our community and staff.
- One location